SSC CGL Syllabus 2023 & Exam Pattern is a must needed information to clear the Combined Graduate Level Exam. Every year lakhs of candidates apply to appear for the SSC CGL Examination. Thus, it is certain that the Selection Test will be super competitive and only the best will be shortlisted. Citing the importance of the Staff Selection Commission CGL Exam, we have discussed the SSC Combined Graduate Level Examination Syllabus and Exam Pattern. Thus, aspirants can refer to these info and maximize their chance to get selected.
SSC CGL Examination 2023 Syllabus View
|Exam Conducting Authority||Staff Selection Commission|
|Examination Name||Combined Graduate Level (CGL)|
|Total No. of Vacancy||36000 vacancies|
|Opening Date of Application||3rd April 2023|
|Last Date of Submission Application||3rd May 2023|
|Page Category||Exam Syllabus|
|Job Category||Central Govt Jobs|
|Job Location||All over India|
|CGL Tier-I Examination Date||14th to 27th July 2023|
|CGL Tier-II Examination Date||Update Soon|
SSC CGL 2023 Exam Syllabus
Have you applied for SSC CGL Examination 2023 ? If yes, then you might be searching for the SSC Combined Graduate Level Examination Syllabus and Exam Pattern. Well the Good News is that we have discussed Staff Selection Commission CGL Exam Syllabus in details. Apart from this, the Phase Wise CGL Exam Pattern is also shared here. Thus, the application submitted candidates can refer to these information through the section below to prepare effectively.
SSC Combined Graduate Level Exam Selection Process
SSC Combined Graduate Level Examination Selection Process consist of the following four tiers/ stages as shared below –
|Stage 1||Tier -I – Computer Based Examination|
|Stage 2||Tier -II – Computer Based Examination|
The Tier I Exam is qualifying in nature and the final merit list is prepared on the basis of Tier II Score.
SSC CGL 2023 Exam Pattern Overview
SSC Combined Graduate Level Recruitment Exam Pattern is discussed here. The SSC CGL 2023 Exam pattern discussed here shall have the topics of the exam, number of questions, marks and test duration. Hence, by referring these information, the aspirants can prepare effectively for the selection test.
SSC CGL Tier 1 Exam Pattern
|Subject||No of Qs||Max Marks||Time Allowed|
|General Intelligence and Reasoning||25||50||1 Hour|
- Tier-I will consist of Objective Type, Multiple choice questions.
- The questions will be set both in English & Hindi except for English Comprehension.
- There will be negative marking of 0.50 for each wrong answer.
SSC CGL Tier 2 Exam Pattern
|Paper||Session||Subject||No of Qs||Max Marks||Time|
|Paper I||Session I (2 hr 15 mins)||Section-I:|
Module-I: Mathematical Abilities
Module-II: Reasoning and General Intelligence.
|(30 +30) = 60||60*3 = 180||1 hour|
Module-I: English Language and Comprehension
Module-II: General Awareness
|(45 + 25) = 70||70*3 = 210||1 hour|
Module-I: Computer Knowledge Module
|20||20*3 = 60||15 min|
|Session-II (15 mins)||Section-III:|
Module-II: Data Entry Speed Test Module
|One Data entry task||–||15 min|
|Paper II||Statistics||100||100*2 = 200||2 hour|
|Paper III||General Studies (Finance and Economics)||100||100*2 = 200||2 hour|
- SSC CGL 2023 Tier-II will have Paper I, II & III
- Questions will be objective in nature
- The questions will be set both in English & Hindi except for English Language and Comprehension module.
- Paper-I is compulsory for all the posts.
- Paper-II will be for only those candidates who apply for the posts of Junior Statistical Officer (JSO) in the MOSPI and Statistical Investigator Grade-II in the office of Registrar General of India (M/o Home Affairs) and who are shortlisted in Tier-I for these Posts.
- Paper-III will be for only those candidates who are shortlisted in Tier-I for Paper-III i.e. for the posts of Assistant Audit Officer/ Assistant Accounts Officer.
- It will be mandatory for the candidates to qualify all the sections of Paper-I.
- There will be negative marking of 1 mark for each wrong answer in Section-I, Section-II and Module-I of Section-III of Paper-I and of 0.50 marks for each wrong answer in Paper-II and Paper-III.
- Module-I of Section-III of Paper-I i.e. Computer Knowledge Test is mandatory but qualifying in nature.
- DEST will be mandatory for all the posts; however, it will be qualifying in nature.
Also check >> SSC CGL Exam Date & Admit Card Update
Staff Selection Commission CGL Exam Syllabus – Phase Wise
Staff Selection Commission CGL Exam has two stages of selection in general. Hence, both the SSC CGL Tier 1 and Tier 2 Syllabus are shared below. Candidates who are looking for the complete SSC CGL Exam Syllabus 2023 can refer to the subject wise topics to prepare. Below is the topics according to the subjects of the SSC Combined Graduate level Exam. Thus, refer to these and start the preparation as early as possible.
SSC CGL Tier 1 Syllabus 2023
The Tier 1 Exam has primarily three subjects namely General Intelligence & Reasoning, General Awareness , Quantitative Aptitude and English Comprehension. Thus, the subject wise syllabus is as follows –
SSC CGL General Intelligence & Reasoning Syllabus
It would include questions of both verbal and non-verbal type. This component may include questions on –
- Similarities and differences,
- Space visualization,
- Spatial orientation,
- Problem solving,
- Decision making,
- Visual memory,
- Relationship concepts,
- Arithmetical reasoning and figural classification,
- Arithmetic number series,
- Non-verbal series,
- Coding and decoding,
- Statement conclusion,
- Syllogistic reasoning etc.
- Semantic Analogy,
- Symbolic/Number Analogy,
- Figural Analogy,
- Semantic Classification,
- Symbolic/Number Classification,
- Figural Classification,
- Semantic Series,
- Number Series,
- Figural Series,
- Problem Solving,
- Word Building,
- Coding & de-coding,
- Numerical Operations,
- symbolic Operations,
- Space Orientation,
- Space Visualization,
- Venn Diagrams,
- Drawing inferences,
- Punched hole/ pattern- folding& un-folding,
- Figural Pattern-folding and completion,
- Address matching,
- Date & city matching,
- Classification of centre codes/roll numbers,
- Small & Capital letters/numbers coding,
- Decoding and classification,
- Embedded Figures,
- Critical thinking,
- Emotional Intelligence,
- Social Intelligence.
SSC CGL General Awareness Syllabus
Questions in this component will be aimed at testing the candidates’ general awareness of the environment around him and its application to society. Questions may be asked from the following topics –
- Indian Economy.
- Famous Places in India.
- Rivers, Lakes and Seas.
- Famous Books & Authors.
- Environmental Issues.
- Current Affairs.
- Famous Days & Dates.
- Indian History.
- Indian Parliament.
- Inventions and Discoveries.
- General Science.
- Indian Politics.
- Countries and Capitals.
- General Arithmetic
- Basic Computer Knowledge.
SSC CGL Quantitative Aptitude Syllabus
The questions will be designed to test the ability of appropriate use of numbers and number sense of the candidate. The scope of the test will have questions on –
- Computation of whole numbers,
- Fractions and relationships between numbers,
- Ratio & Proportion,
- Square roots,
- Profit and Loss,
- Partnership Business,
- Mixture and Alligation,
- Time and distance,
- Time & Work,
- Basic algebraic identities of School Algebra & Elementary surds,
- Graphs of Linear Equations,
- Triangle and its various kinds of centres,
- Congruence and similarity of triangles,
- Circle and its chords,
- Angles subtended by chords of a circle,
- Common tangents to two or more circles,
- Regular Polygons,
- Right Prism,
- Right Circular Cone,
- Right Circular Cylinder,
- Rectangular Parallelepiped,
- Regular Right Pyramid with triangular or square base,
- Trigonometric ratio,
- Degree and Radian Measures,
- Standard Identities,
- Complementary angles,
- Heights and Distances,
- Frequency polygon,
- Bar diagram & Pie chart.
SSC CGL English Comprehension Syllabus
Candidates’ ability to understand correct English, his basic comprehension and writing ability, etc. would be tested. Questions will be from –
- Error recognition,
- Fill in the blanks (using verbs, preposition, articles etc),
- Sentence Structure,
- Sentence Completion,
- Phrases and Idiomatic use of Words, etc
SSC CGL Tier 2 Syllabus 2023
The SSC CGL Tier 2 Exam has three papers namely – Paper I, II & III. The Paper I is mandatory for all of the candidates, while the Paper II ( Statistics) is only for the candidates who have opted for the JSO post. Similarly, the Paper III is only for the candidates opted to appear for AAO post. The Paper wise syllabus of SSC CGL Exam 2023 is thus discussed below-
SSC CGL Tier 2 Paper 1 Syllabus 2023
The Paper 1 of SSC CGL Tier 2 Stage has three sections having sub modules. So, the module or section wise syllabus information is very crucial for the aspirants. Therefore, the detailed syllabus according the section and module is as follows –
Module-I of Session-I of Paper-I (Mathematical Abilities) Syllabus
- Number Systems: Computation of Whole Number, Decimal and Fractions, Relationship between numbers.
- Fundamental Arithmetical Operations: Percentages, Ratio and Proportion, Square roots, Averages, Interest (Simple and Compound), Profit and Loss, Discount, Partnership Business, Mixture and Alligation, Time and distance, Time and work.
- Algebra: Basic algebraic identities of School Algebra and Elementary surds (simple problems) and Graphs of Linear Equations.
- Geometry: Familiarity with elementary geometric figures and facts: Triangle and its various kinds of centres, Congruence and similarity of triangles, Circle and its chords, tangents, angles subtended by chords of a circle, common tangents to two or more circles.
- Mensuration: Triangle, Quadrilaterals, Regular Polygons, Circle, Right Prism, Right Circular Cone, Right Circular Cylinder, Sphere, Hemispheres, Rectangular Parallelepiped, Regular Right Pyramid with triangular or square Base.
- Trigonometry: Trigonometry, Trigonometric ratios, Complementary angles, Height and distances (simple problems only) Standard Identities like sin2𝜃 + cos2𝜃=1 etc.
- Statistics and Probability: Use of Tables and Graphs: Histogram, Frequency polygon, Bar-diagram, Pie-chart; Measures of central tendency: mean, median, mode, standard deviation; calculation of simple probabilities.
Module-II of Section-I of Paper-I (Reasoning and General Intelligence) Syllabus
Questions of both verbal and non-verbal type. These will include questions on Semantic Analogy, Symbolic operations, Symbolic/ Number Analogy, Trends, Figural Analogy, Space Orientation, Semantic Classification, Venn Diagrams, Symbolic/ Number Classification, Drawing inferences, Figural Classification, Punched hole/ pattern-folding & unfolding, Semantic Series, Figural Pattern- folding and completion, Number Series, Embedded figures, Figural Series, Critical Thinking, Problem Solving, Emotional Intelligence, Word Building, Social Intelligence, Coding and de-coding, Numerical operations, Other sub-topics, if any.
Module-I of Section-II of Paper-I (English Language and Comprehension) Syllabus
Vocabulary, grammar, sentence structure, synonyms, antonyms and their correct usage; Spot the Error, Fill in the Blanks, Synonyms/ Homonyms, Antonyms, Spellings/ Detecting mis-spelt words, Idioms & Phrases, One word substitution, Improvement of Sentences, Active/ Passive Voice of Verbs, Conversion into Direct/ Indirect narration, Shuffling of Sentence parts, Shuffling of Sentences in a passage, Cloze Passage, Comprehension Passage. To test comprehension, three or more paragraphs will be given and questions based on those will be asked. At least one paragraph should be a simple one based on a book or a story and the other two paragraphs should be on current affairs, based on a report or an editorial.
Module-II of Section-II of Paper-I (General Awareness) Syllabus
Questions will be there to test the candidates’ general awareness of the environment around them and its application to society. Questions are also designed to test knowledge of current events and of such matters of everyday observation and experience in their scientific aspect as may be expected of an educated person. The test will also include questions relating to India and its neighboring countries especially pertaining to History, Culture, Geography, Economic Scene, General policy and scientific research.
Module-I of Section-III of Paper-I (Computer Proficiency) Syllabus
- Computer Basics: Organization of a computer, Central Processing Unit (CPU), input/ output devices, computer memory, memory organization, back- up devices, PORTs, Windows Explorer. Keyboard shortcuts.
- Software: Windows Operating system including basics of Microsoft Office like MS word, MS Excel and Power Point etc.
- Working with Internet and e-mails: Web Browsing & Searching, Downloading & Uploading, Managing an E-mail Account, e-Banking.
- Basics of networking and cyber security: Networking devices and protocols, Network and information security threats (like hacking, virus, worms, Trojan etc.) and preventive measures.
SSC CGL Tier 2 Paper II ( Statistics ) Syllabus
- Collection, Classification & Presentation of Statistical data
- Measures of Central Tendency
- Measures of Dispersion
- Moments, Skewness and Kurtosis.
- Correlation and Regression
- Probability Theory
- Random Variable and Probability Distributions
- Sampling Theory.
- Statistical Inference.
- Analysis of Variance.
- Time Series Analysis.
- Index Numbers
SSC CGL Tier 2 Paper III General Studies (Finance and Economics) Syllabus
|Part A: Finance and Accounts – (80 marks)||Fundamental principles and basic concept of Accounting:|
Financial Accounting: Nature and scope, Limitations of Financial Accounting, Basic concepts and Conventions, Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
Basic concepts of accounting: Single and double entry, Books of original Entry, Bank Reconciliation, Journal, ledgers, Trial Balance, Rectification of Errors, Manufacturing, Trading, Profit & loss Appropriation Accounts, Balance Sheet Distinction between Capital and Revenue Expenditure, Depreciation Accounting, Valuation of Inventories, Non-profit organisations Accounts, Receipts and Payments and Income & Expenditure Accounts, Bills of Exchange, Self-Balancing Ledgers.
|Part B: Economics and Governance-(120 marks)||Comptroller & Auditor General of India|
Basic Concept of Economics and introduction to Micro Economics
Theory of Demand and Supply.
Theory of Production and cost.
Forms of Market and price determination in different markets.
Nature of the Indian Economy Role of different sectors
National Income of India.
Poverty and unemployment.
Economic Reforms in India
Money and Banking:
Monetary/ Fiscal policy.
Budget and Fiscal deficits and Balance of payments.
Fiscal Responsibility and Budget Management Act, 2003.
Role of Information Technology in Governance
SSC CGL Exam Syllabus 2023 PDF Download
To conclude we have shared the SSC CGL Tier 1 and 2 Exam Syllabus pdf version. Hence, aspirants looking for the SSC CGL Syllabus PDF can follow the direct link to below to download it.
We hope the above needed information in connection to SSC Combined Graduate Level Exam Syllabus is useful. Thus, refer to these and start the preparation as soon as possible.
Best of Luck
200 is the total mark of the SSC CGL Tier 1 Exam 2023.
Yes, there will be negative marking of 0.50 for each wrong answer.